No.16, B.N.Road,
(Off Vijayaraghava Road),
T.Nagar, Chennai - 600017
Phone: 044 - 4901 4555 / 4901 4558
Website :

President: T.A.W. Rafeeq Ahmed - Hony. Secretary: G.S.K. Masud - Treasurer: H. Azeez Akhtar

The God-fearing Muslims of Tamilnadu had always been in the fore-front, practising the injunctions of the Holy Quran and following the sayings of the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him). They are second to none in extending patronage to the widows, destitutes and the orphans.

The like-minded philanthropists rallied together and the Anjuman was Inaugurated on the auspicious day of the Shab-e-Qadr viz 27th Ramadan 1307. A.H.corresponding to the year, 1890 A.D. within the precincts of the stately Wallajah Mosque, Triplicane. The Anjuman enjoyed the patronage of H.H.the Prince of Arcot.

The boys orphanage was the first to come into existance. It was started within the campus of the Walajah Mosque. The late Shamsululama Moulavi Haji Ghulam Rasool Sahib, who was well known for his piety and learning, undertook its supervison Provision was made for the education of the boys under his direct control and arrangements were made for teaching the boys carpentry and tailoring in the Industrial School run by the Anjuman-e-Islam, Mount Road, Madras.

Gradually, as the orphanage became better known in the mofussil, orphan boys were admitted in larger numbers from all the districts of the state. To meet the growing cost of maintenance and education and to provide suitable accomodation for the increasing number of boys, special donations were collected and a property was purchased at 53, Wallajah Road and the orphanage was shifted to that place. A few small properties were also purchased and a few others were received as gifts to ensure a regular income to supplement private contributions.

A regular elementary school, according to the government regulations was then opened by the Anjuman in the premises of the orphanage and an annual grantin-aid for the school and an annual boarding grant for the orphanage were obtained from the government. An Annual contribution was also secured from the Corporation of Madras. In the course of time the school became a higher elementary school and the boys passing out of it were sent either to high schools or to technical schools and were provided with fees and books by the Anjuman.

In the meantime, the demand for a girls' orphanage had to be met and a separate home for orphan girls was opened in a rented building and a matron was appointed for looking after them. The girls were provided with fees and books for studying in the nearby elementary and high schools and arrangements were made for their conveyance to and from the school.

Side by side with literary and technical education, the orphans have also been receiving from the inception religious and moral instructions under teachers specially engaged for the purpose. Consequent to the pressure for more admissions, in the two homes, the elementary school had to be closed to provide more accomodation for the orphans and later on as the strength of the orphanage increased to 300, the need for finding suitable alternative accomodation became imperative. the Anjuman subsequently prepared an elaborate masterplan to house both the Boys' and Girls' Orphanages, a Mosque, a Technical Institute and a school is one campus. Donations started pouring in. The provincial government which was handed by Shri, C. Rajagopalachariar, the then Chief Minister was pleased to sanction payment of part of the money for the purchase of a land.

Allah be praised, in the year 1934, two plots of land measuring about 19 acres were purchassed in T. Nagar where the Anjuman is now located, through the good offices of the then Mayor, The Rajah of Chettinad and the then councellors of the Corporation of Madras Messers Basheer Ahmed Sayeed Sahib, Dr. Syed Niamathullah Sahib and Abdul Hameed Khan Sahib. The foundation stone of the new building was laid by no less a personality than the Hon'ble Shri C.Rajagopalachariar, who was then the governor General of our country, on 24-08-1948. This was the turning point in the history of the Anjuman as all subsequent activities of the Anjuman have taken place on this land.

The Anjuman and its orphanages have thus been gradually built up by successive teams of ardent honorary workers over the years. What the Founders did for the Anjuman was like levelling the ground and digging out the earth for laying foundations. The work of the next batch consisting of the late Khan Bahadur Haji Mohamed Abdul Aziz Basha Sahib as President and the late Syed Yusuf Sahib as Secretary and their co workers was like fixing the foundations deep and firm. The third batch consisting of the late khan Bahadur Haji Mohamed Abdul Aziz Secretary and their assistants worked long and hard like masons raising the walls straight and strong. The work of the fourth batch consisting of Haji Hakim Magdoom Ashraf Sahib as President and Fazal Kareem Sahib and the late K.M. Akbar Badsha Sahib and Dr. Syed Niamathullah Sahib as successive Secretaries and their supporters may be compared to that of spanning the roof family and evenly on the walls. What the batch of office-bearers in the year 1954-55 and the committee members did can be compared to giving finishing touches to complete the strucutre and make it habitable and more useful. The Boys Home building as then palnned was completed with donations and was declared open by the late Mr. C.N. Anna Dorai, the then Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu on 22-2-1968 when Alhaj Basheer Ahmed Sayeed Sahib was the President and Haji A.Md. Ubaidullah Sahib was the Secretary.

Anjuman Mosque

As there was no mosque in the T.Nagar area, the idea of putting up a mosuqe in the Anjuman's campus was mooted as far back as 1956. This took as tangible shape in the year, 1964 when a charitable minded lady, Mrs. N.M.Ayesha Bi Sahiba generously contrib8uted a sum of Rs. 20,000/- through the good offices of Janab H.Md. Yousuf Sahib. Again due to paucity of funds, the construction of the mosque was done in phases and it was completed in the year, 1969. A special mention should be made of Janab M. Meeran Sahib who was the Architect and brain behind the entire construction work and it was his engineering feat that resulted in the construction of the main prayer hall with a span of 60 x 40 without any supporting pillars. the mosque also has a vary spacious "Sehan" measurins 6000 sq.ft. His Excellency Anas Yousuf Yassin Ambassador of Saudi Arabia visited the Anjuman Mosque in the presence of a large gathering. He joined the first prayers conducted in the Mosque. Sanitary water facilities were also provided in the year, 1971 and an attrative ablution tank for performing ablution was constructed by courtesy of the Tableeghi Jamath in 1979.

The Mosque and Sehan present a majestic look occupying a plinth area of about 9000 sq.ft. Visitors from the city and outside, look at the mosque with admiration. Its beauty has been enhanced by a coconut grove of 92 trees adjacent to it.

Anjuman Centenary Building

The centenary multi storeyed building of the Anjuman for which the foundaation stone is being laid at the inaugural function of the centenary celebrations of the Anjuman will be a landmark in its history and after its completion with the kind cooperation of the philanthropist and other members of the Anjuman. Insha Allah, it will be a monument in the campus of the Anjuman, perpetuating a century of its services to the orphans and furthering their cause in the century ahead. -- --

Holy Quran

Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go. - Mother Teresa

Go Social Go Top Go Home