Area: 32 sq.km.
Density: 1400 persons/sq.km
Sex Ratio: 1000:1005 (1990) (Male:Female)
% of Muslims in the population: about 75%
No. of Wards: 18
No. of Streets: 78
No. of Houses: 11,311
No. of Voters: 28,111 (Men - 13,922; Women - 14,189)
The highway connecting
Rameswaram and Kanya kumari passes through
Kayalpatnam. The road length in Kayalpatnam was, in
1999, about 40 kms (all types).
There is a 110/11 kv
sub-station providing electricity to the town. There are about
750 street lights in the town excluding the 200 Sodium
Vapour lights. In 1999, there were about 8,400 electric
- Water Supply
First plans to supply
Water to the town were drawn in 1945. A storage tank with the
capacity to hold 300,000 litres of water was inaugurated by the
then CM of Tamil Nadu, Mr. K. Kamraj. It cost 37.5 lakh rupees to
In 1970, under Kayalpatnam Water Supply Development plan, a
storage tank with the capacity of 400,000 litres was
constructed. The then DMK government contributed 7.5 lakhs to
the total cost of 24 lakhs. The rest was obtained from LIC as
In 1981, with the help of the then Tiruchendur MP Mr. K.T.
Kosalram, a third water tank was constructed.
In 1988, a fourth
water storage tank was constructed near Appapally Grounds, with
the help of Haji V.M.S. Lebbai.
There are 5 storage tanks of combined capacity to hold 1.1
million litres of water. In 1999, there were about 5100